Designers Corner is the place where Parametric Designers talk about their work. There is a story behind every model, and who better to tell the story than the designer himself?
For this episode we went to London and sat down with Arthur Mamou-Mani, french architect in charge of this year's Main Temple (Galaxia) at the Burning Man Festival in Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA.
Arthur is director of the award-winning practice Mamou-Mani Architects, specialized in a new kind of digitally design and fabricated architecture.
He is a lecturer at the University of Westminster in London and owns a digital fabrication laboratory called FabPub, which allows people to experiment with large 3D printers and laser cutters. Since 2016 he is a fellow of The Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufacturers and Commerce.
Arthur gave numerous talks including the TedX Conference in the USA and has been featured in The New York Times and Forbes. His clients include ARUP, Buro Happold Engineering, The Burning Man Festival, and Food Ink, among others.
In our first ever video interview we touched different topics ranging from his early beginnings as a designer, how we got into The Burning Man Festival, the future of design and much more. Hope you enjoy it!
Short on time? No worries! Here's the list of questions we asked and at what point of the interview you can find them:
1. (00:20) What's your background?
2. (01:21) What's your first memory regarding Parametric Design?
3. (02:20) What type of work do you create at your studio?
4. (03:03) What does The Burning Man Festival represent to you?
5. (04:15) What does this year's selection as lead designer mean to you?
6. (05:30) Why should people contribute and donate this year?
7. (06:53) How big is the temple?
8. (07:14) Is Burning Man a place for architectural experiments?
9. (08:03) Was there a spiritual influence when you designed the temple?
10. (09:06) What does your design workflow look like?
11. (10:09) Which software do you use the most?
12. (11:13) Where do you see Parametric Design in the future?
13. (13:27) Final thoughts, important links.
IMPORTANT: Don't forget to donate in order to make this amazing Galaxia project happen!
Want to know even more about Galaxia? Check out the interior!
Would you like to be featured in this space? Make sure to contact us! Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about your work!